Benzene, AML, McDermott & Technip is a case about a Louisiana jack up rig worker that alleges that his acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) was caused by his exposure to hazardous crude oil and other chemicals (containing benzene) while working in the Gulf of Mexico.
Benzene, AML, McDermott & Technip: A case in the USDC, E.D. Louisiana, ruled on a motion to remand (revolving around the Defendant’s claims that this is a Jones Act claim as well as a general maritime law claim and invokes the saving-to-suitors clause incorporated in 28 U.S.C. § 1333, and is not removable – is he a seaman?).
A brief summary of the case follows:
- Mr. Eschete “performed work for McDermott, and Technip, on its Jack up rigs on offshore locations in the Gulf of Mexico, as well as, tug boats and barges from approximately 1994 to 2001.”
- The petition identifies several vessels owned by McDermott and Technip on which Mr. Eschete allegedly worked.
- It states that, while employed by these two defendants, Mr. Eschete “worked as a rigger, and performed welding, maintenance, cleaning, painting and chipping, engine repairs, pump work, repaired fuel lines, and loaded and unloaded fuel on the vessels, such as, Jack up rigs, tug boats, barges and other vessels.”
- During the relevant period, Mr. Eschete claims that he was exposed to “hazardous crude oil, diesel fuel, leaks, gasoline, solvents, and natural gas and natural gas condensate.”
- And this exposure caused him to suffer various injuries, including the development of Acute Myeloid Leukemia, or “AML.”
- The Court ruled: motion to remand reversed
- To find out more on the case, see Benzene and Rig worker.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.
If you have been diagnosed with a serious disease (e.g., leukemia, cancer, AML, kidney cancer, MDS, multiple myeloma, non-hodgkins lymphoma etc.) from benzene exposure, and need a benzene lawyer to help you file a benzene exposure lawsuit, contact our office at 1.844.329.5955.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS